– March 1, 2009
Recently, commenter and contributor Ruth Seeley mentioned a link to Rick Springate’s website Go See TV, a website that contains fascinating old video footage of New Westminster events, converted into easy to view digital vignettes. This website is a rare treasure trove of nostalgia for all who have lived a life in the Royal City or who are interested in the way lives use to be lived here.
One page of Go See TV exclusively presents footage from most celebrations from 1932 to 1963, all of which were filmed by H.Norman Lidster, who was involved in the celebrations. Each file is a precious time capsule into the past of our city, our country the British Empire (take a look at some of the earlier videos and you will see what I mean) and the World. See elementary school students and high school students doing orchestrated calisthenics and complex dances. See the look of common purpose and confidence on the faces of the youth and the pride and respect they seem to get from their elders. It was a different time.
Here is the oldest of the files, from 1932.
In 1944, The May Queen arrived on an armoured personnel transport and there is an aircraft carrier in Coal Harbour.
Have a look and ask yourself: “what has changed in our society since some of these videos were created”? For one thing, I don’t think today’s school board would issue band and sports uniforms with such short skirts. Wait, we could once pay for uniforms?
Latest posts by Will Tomkinson (see all)
- The loud side of civic engagement: Sapperton speaks out on EFry - July 3, 2012
- The New Westminster Quay Market is Dead. Long live River Market! - November 20, 2010
- Council Chambers Online: Resident says “Meh, it’s not that hard” - April 19, 2010
- At the Farmers Market, we are not strangers but neighbours - April 16, 2010
- DPAC seeks opinions on New West schools via flawed online survey - March 14, 2010
- Garden Nerd Series: Garden-grown food for a good cause. - March 9, 2010
- Hyack Your Health: Canada Games Pool, a Plan that Worked - January 18, 2010
- Federal Liberal Campaign Statement, Ken Beck Lee - October 23, 2009
- Friday night perogy dinner: Cyril and Methodius never had it this good. - September 26, 2009
- Changing of the Guard (well, at least the C.O.) - September 18, 2009
- Paul Forseth seeks Conservative nomination for Burnaby-New Westminster - September 13, 2009
- Wheelability Project Assessment Team on the Road. - September 13, 2009
- A Tale of Two Supermarkets - August 3, 2009
- 12th Street Festival this Sunday. Celebrate New West Neighbourhoods! - July 29, 2009
- Conservative Nomination Update for New West-Coquitam Riding - July 9, 2009
- Local Tories Set to Pick Candidate for New West-Coquitlam - July 3, 2009
- Canada Day! Yee Haw! - July 1, 2009
- Coquitlam City Counsellor Named as NDP Candidate for New West-Coquitlam. - June 29, 2009
- Community Garden Initiative Gathers Steam - June 9, 2009
- A Critical Eye on ‘Canadians for Reconciliation’ - June 5, 2009
- Pattullo Bridge Repaving Project Means Closures - May 28, 2009
- Ten, Nine , Eight….Royal City Space Program. - May 27, 2009
- BC-STV Not Supported by Voters in the Royal City - May 12, 2009
- Election Returns Favour BC NDP Candidate Dawn Black - May 12, 2009
- The BC Election Results Roll In. - May 12, 2009