– April 13, 2010
The Bluebird Dairy corner store, long an icon at 8th Street and 4th Avenue, was unceremoniously demolished today. I feel a bit sad. Long ago, as a young early 20s single woman-about-town, I used to rent the top floor of that big brown house next to the Bluebird. And I bought a huge amount of my groceries at the little corner store. I came to rely on the Bluebird. The staff became familiar faces.
On September 11, 2001, I was on my way to work, and stopped in at the Bluebird for a pack of smokes. The radio was on behind the counter and the two employees were glued to it. That’s when I heard a second plane had been piloted into the World Trade Centre. I’ll always remember where I was.
Local reporter Theresa MacManus has also posted some memories of the Bluebird on her blog.
Goodbye, Bluebird. You served me well.
Latest posts by Jen Arbo (see all)
- Ask Arbo: What the heck is a Hyack? - July 7, 2015
- Ask Arbo: Urban Livestock (or, The 15 Million Dollar Goat) - June 8, 2015
- Uptown Unplugged - July 23, 2013
- Food Truck Festival – Let’s Go Eat - July 23, 2013
- Uncovering Creeks in Hume Park - June 12, 2013
- Parks, Culture, and Recreation Summer Movie Series Returns! - May 28, 2013
- Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine: Keeping a Medicinal Garden at Westminster Pier Park - May 22, 2013
- New free art program starting May 26: ArtStarts at River Market - May 17, 2013
- Get to know New West in a hurry! - April 25, 2013
- SpudShack: Fitting a Vision Into New West - February 6, 2013
- Barley’s Homebrewing Supplies a welcome addition to Sapperton - January 16, 2013
- Helping Others Over the Holidays - November 25, 2012
- Key to the City - November 6, 2012
- Santa Parade Needs a Makeover - October 17, 2012
- New West Activities for September 29 - September 27, 2012
- Freelancer Unconference This Saturday + Ticket Giveaway! - September 12, 2012
- Show Your Love for the Fraser River: Join the New West Shoreline Cleanup - September 6, 2012
- Massey Victory Heights Residents’ Association Family Picnic - September 6, 2012
- 13th Annual Doggy Fun Days Coming Up! - August 17, 2012
- Residents’ Associations - June 19, 2012
- Westminster Pier Park Exceeds Expectations - June 16, 2012
- Pier Park Grand Opening Saturday 11-3 - June 15, 2012
- Northern Voice Conference ticket giveaway - June 8, 2012
- Neighbourhood Small Grants Comes to New Westminster - June 5, 2012
- McBride Mom’s Night Out - April 25, 2012