Trying to figure out how to keep your kids busy and out of your hair this summer? Here’s an option—Urban Academy is offering all sorts of summer camps this year, right here in New Westminster.
The arts-infused school is excited about this new offering and sees it as a natural extension of their arts-infused curriculum.
“We’re looking forward to opening our doors for camps this summer,” says Michael Bouchard, Urban Academy’s head of school, in a press release. “We’ve got something for everyone, and it’s a great way for kids to continue to learn and have fun when school’s out.”
The full-and half-day camps are all a week long and will run throughout the summer at Urban Academy, in the former Robson Manor. Topics include French, drawing, painting, science, clay, and music theatre and options are available for kids from five to sixteen years-old.
All of the camps will be led by teachers from Urban Academy, except for the Clay Creations one which will be taught by an established artist.
Camp details are as follows:
- Creative Puppetry, ages five to seven, July 11 to 15, 9 a.m. to noon, $126
- Become a Puppeteer, ages six to 11 years, July 11 to 15, 12:45 to 3:45 p.m., $126
- Music Theatre, ages five to 12 years, August 22 to 26, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., $226
- Clay Creations, ages six to 11 years, July 25 to 29, 9 a.m. to noon ,$130
- Fun in French, ages six to 12 years, July 25 to 29, 12:45 to 3:45 p.m., $126
- Introduction to Photography and Pinhole Cameras, ages 11 to 16 years, July 4 to 8 or July 11 to 15, 9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., $315 (materials included are valued at $60 per student)
- Drawing and Painting 101, ages 11 to 16, July 18 to 22, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., $290 (materials included are valued at $60 per student)
The comprehensive camps give kids a unique experience and go beyond what many similar camps do. For example, in the photography camp, students will build a darkroom, take a photography tour of downtown Vancouver, and visit a print shop where they will print a short series.
Limited spaces are still available for most camps but are selling fast. More information is available at urbanacademy.ca/summercamps.
Please call the school at 604-524-2211 to register and secure your child’s spot.