– August 25, 2011
On September 10th, 1898, New Westminster was very nearly destroyed by what is now referred to as “The Great Fire”. Pictures show a city completely ravaged; the devastation razed most of the city’s buildings.
Maps of the city show us just how bad it was. The circled area was just… gone.
City residents banded together and rebuilt most of the city in less than two years. (Imagine that happening in this day and age?) I am sure many residents of Sapperton pitched in, housed their friends, and generally made themselves useful.
On Saturday, September 10th (the same day and date of the Great Fire), New West Fire Fighters will be flipping the pancakes and cooking ham for Sapperton Old Age Pensioners Association. Sapper Flap Jack Saturday is from 8:30 am to 12 noon. Melitta will be supplying the coffee. Cost is $5.00 per person, children 9 and under free. Tickets at the door or call 604 – 522-0280.
Have you been to Sapperton Hall? If you attended the UBE sessions or live on this side of town and voted, you probably have. Tucked 1/4 block up from RCH’s Emergency entrance at 318 Keary Street, Sapperton Hall is a great little meeting place. Since April this year, it has been undergoing about $60,000 worth of upgrades. New high efficiency furnaces, new high capacity high efficiency hot water tank, repainting the interior walls of the lower floor, installing new thermal windows on the lower floor, adding a new handicap accessible washroom and increasing and updating the women’s washroom upstairs. They are now working on improving the electrical in the kitchen and installing a new hood over the stoves. Sapperton Hall, opened in 1962, has 10,000 sq. ft. on two floors. The upstairs has a beautiful hardwood floor and about 4,000 sq. ft. of open area plus a small stage. The lower floor has a lino floor and a good sized kitchen facility. There is also an elevator lift to assist wheelchairs or people with mobility challenges.
Latest posts by Jen Arbo (see all)
- Ask Arbo: Urban Livestock (or, The 15 Million Dollar Goat) - June 8, 2015
- Uptown Unplugged - July 23, 2013
- Food Truck Festival – Let’s Go Eat - July 23, 2013
- Uncovering Creeks in Hume Park - June 12, 2013
- Parks, Culture, and Recreation Summer Movie Series Returns! - May 28, 2013
- Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine: Keeping a Medicinal Garden at Westminster Pier Park - May 22, 2013
- New free art program starting May 26: ArtStarts at River Market - May 17, 2013
- Get to know New West in a hurry! - April 25, 2013
- SpudShack: Fitting a Vision Into New West - February 6, 2013
- Barley’s Homebrewing Supplies a welcome addition to Sapperton - January 16, 2013
- Helping Others Over the Holidays - November 25, 2012
- Key to the City - November 6, 2012
- Santa Parade Needs a Makeover - October 17, 2012
- New West Activities for September 29 - September 27, 2012
- Freelancer Unconference This Saturday + Ticket Giveaway! - September 12, 2012
- Show Your Love for the Fraser River: Join the New West Shoreline Cleanup - September 6, 2012
- Massey Victory Heights Residents’ Association Family Picnic - September 6, 2012
- 13th Annual Doggy Fun Days Coming Up! - August 17, 2012
- Residents’ Associations - June 19, 2012
- Westminster Pier Park Exceeds Expectations - June 16, 2012
- Pier Park Grand Opening Saturday 11-3 - June 15, 2012
- Northern Voice Conference ticket giveaway - June 8, 2012
- Neighbourhood Small Grants Comes to New Westminster - June 5, 2012
- McBride Mom’s Night Out - April 25, 2012
- Worth Saving - April 20, 2012