Raid ‘Grandma’s Attic’ at Royal City Gogos fundraiser
I’ll be the first to admit I shouldn’t really be let loose near a secondhand store or garage sale. I tend to go a little overboard taking in all the amazing things people have cast off. So I’m already practically salivating in anticipation of the Royal City Gogos’ Grandma’s Attic New and Used Sale, which is coming up on Saturday, April 28 from 11 am– 4 pm at the CAW Hall, 326 Twelfth Street, New Westminster.
In case you’re not familiar with the Royal City Gogos from their numerous other community events, including Scrabble tournaments and art shows, they’re an organization founded by local grandmothers, who raise funds to assist African Grandmothers who are caring for some of the 14.8 million children orphaned in sub-Saharan Africa by the HIV/AIDS pandemic through the Stephen Lewis Foundation’s Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign.
According to event organizers, the sale on the 28th will be “huge”, including six specialty areas:
- Grandma’s Attic: quality used house wares, collectibles and décor items.
- Grandma’s Bookshelf: Current, gently read books for $2!
- Grandma’s Garden: get a head start on spring with sunflowers, bedding plants and perennials
- Grandma’s an Expert: Grandma offers her skills in a service auction lessons on making perfect scones, designing a family photo book online, or knitting a scarf — in your home or at grandma’s house. Grandpa offers a morning of bird watching, handyman skills
- Grandma’s Got Style: Grandma makes stunning gift items and fashion accessories locally and in fair trade workshops in Africa
- Grandma’s Tea Shop: Grandma is serving tea and pastries to hungry shoppers.
“African grandmothers, having buried their own children, have stepped into the breach to parent again with few resources,” says local Gogo Janine Reid, “The Stephen Lewis Foundation directs the funds to community-level organizations that provide necessities and help to turn the tide of AIDS in Africa.”
Entry to the marketplace is free and open to the public. Only cash or cheques will be accepted.