– October 18, 2012
Did you know that New Westminster hosts an annual documentary film festival? The second annual New West DocFest is coming up this weekend, October 19 & 20, at Douglas College’s Laura C. Muir Theatre.
The festival opens on Friday evening with a presentation by guest speaker Mark Jaccard, a professor at SFU, followed by the screening of Chasing Ice. This year’s films cover a range of topics including the environment (Chasing Ice and White Water Black Gold), women in India (The World Before Her), the video game industry (Indie Game the Movie), and the power of corporations (Big Boys Gone Bananas).
In addition to the program of critically acclaimed documentaries, the festival also incorporates music, theatre and art. Short theatrical performances throughout the festival will be presented by Act Now, a youth theatre group focused on sustainability.
As a fairly new event in New Westminster, this will be a critical year to determine the long-term viability of the event. According to one of the event organizers, Andrew Murray, the vision for the festival is to become more than just a local event: “We want to create an event that is unique to New West that will not only draw people locally but also throughout the Lower Mainland.”
Admission is just $7 per film ($5 for students and seniors). For more information, visit www.newwestdocfest.ca.
Latest posts by Briana Tomkinson (see all)
- In memory of New Westminster’s golden age: Wild Rice pays tribute to the King Neptune - September 29, 2015
- Your guide to Feast On The Fraser - September 23, 2015
- Feast like never before from Sept. 25 – Oct. 4 in New West - September 17, 2015
- Biggest one-day food truck fest in Canada comes to New West Aug 22 - August 9, 2015
- Four music stages, kids zone at 12th Street Music Festival on July 26 - July 12, 2015
- New Westminster outdoor movies in the park (2015) - July 8, 2015
- Pier Park water misters have arrived! - July 7, 2015
- How to report water violators - July 6, 2015
- Cool off with Loonie Skates at Moody Park Arena this summer - July 6, 2015
- Drop-in activities for your family’s summer ‘staycation’ - July 6, 2015
- The 12th Street bread store that’s so cheap – it’s practically free - July 2, 2015
- Free land! New West responds to affordable housing crisis - June 30, 2015
- Pier Park to get a little cooler - June 30, 2015
- Best poutine in
New Westthe Lower Mainland - June 28, 2015
- Canada Day in New Westminster - June 27, 2015
- Time to let go of ‘The Royal City’ name - June 23, 2015
- Board games, pinball and other old-school fun - June 22, 2015
- On June 18, get a sneak peek at the new ‘Front Street Mews’ - June 17, 2015
- On June 20, two neighbourhood garage sales in New West - June 16, 2015
- Where to shop for the best prices on fruit & vegetables in New West - June 14, 2015
- New West kids deserve fair lunch policy for all - June 13, 2015
- City warns of fire risk in New West - June 8, 2015
- Unicycle and juggling lessons now offered in New West - June 8, 2015
- Stay cool, New West: Summer fun at spray parks, splash pools, and beaches - June 5, 2015
- The first New West parklet goes to …. Sapperton! - June 4, 2015