– November 25, 2012
During the upcoming holiday season we frequently get asked about charity drives and other ways our readers can share the spirit of the holidays with other New Westminster residents. What we noticed this year is many of our local small businesses are taking the initiative to start something and we think that’s amazing. It’s hard enough to run a business but to also coordinate something selfless that contributes to the greater good of our community shows us that businesses in New Westminster really do acare about the community.
Here’s a round up of some of the programs we’ve managed to find (including a few initiatives by various community agencies), and we’d love it if you can add in the comments any you know of that we missed so that we can update this post.
Feeding the Hungry
Paul at the Heritage Grill for years has done an annual Christmas dinner where anyone can come in for a traditional turkey dinner at no cost at the Grill. His staff volunteer for the gig. Give him a call if you’d like to help out at 604 759 0819
The amazing women running Brick and Mortar Loving on Begbie are collecting mens’ shoes to give to the needy. Used or new, drop off your shoes at their store and they’ll be sure they get into the right hands.
18th Annual Coat Drive on the Downtown Eastside
Roni and her team at the Shop 4 Paws Thrift Shop on 12th is in need of donated coats for her 18th Annual Coat Drive that we’ve spotlit before that takes place Decembeer 10th. Roni says that each person gets a coat, some warm soup, hot chocolate, and whatever socks, hats, and mittens they can muster up. She points out “many of the people who come to the coat drive are actually from New West – I see many of the same faces walking the streets of New West, so it is nice to know we are helping not only the folks from the Downtown Eastside in Vancouver, but also folks from here, too.” Roni needs coats and helping hands, so contact her at the shop on 12th at 6th or call her at 604 540 7722.
Adopt a Family
The great folks at Family Services have stepped up this year to take over the Adopt A Family program. This year, they have about 120 families in need on their list, and only about 40 sponsors so far. Sponsors buy gifts or provide funds for the family and provide money for a Christmas celebration. Please contact them if you can help at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604 525 9144.
Cruise for Food
Paddlewheeler Riverboat Tours is offering two upcoming charity cruises on December 2nd in benefit of the local food bank. Admission on the two sailings (one is from 2-3, the other is from 3:30-4:30) is by donation plus at least one canned good which will go directly to the Food Bank. As well, they’re happy to accept additional canned goods. The captain, crew, and live entertainment are all volunteering their time. Contact the tour office for more info and to make reservations (requested) at 604 525 4465 or email email@example.com
Redbrick Home Holiday Special
Thursday November 29th, from 5-9pm Michael at Redbrick Home is offering a special evening of shopping, nibblies, beverages, discounts and helping the food bank. Bring in any non perishable food items, and receive discounts on merchandise (25% off any one regular priced item or 15% off any one sale priced item), and with any purchase, be entered to win a $250 gift card, drawn November 30th.
Sapperton Tree Sale
The 5th Annual Sapperton Tree Sale is happening December 9th, from 11-3 with all sorts of local Sapperton merchants supporting and sponsoring this event. Buy your tree while enjoying music and hot chocolate while you support the RCH Foundation. Please note, tree sales are cash only. Check out this poster for more info.
If you know of anymore we’ve missed, please don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments!
Latest posts by Jen Arbo (see all)
- Ask Arbo: Urban Livestock (or, The 15 Million Dollar Goat) - June 8, 2015
- Uptown Unplugged - July 23, 2013
- Food Truck Festival – Let’s Go Eat - July 23, 2013
- Uncovering Creeks in Hume Park - June 12, 2013
- Parks, Culture, and Recreation Summer Movie Series Returns! - May 28, 2013
- Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine: Keeping a Medicinal Garden at Westminster Pier Park - May 22, 2013
- New free art program starting May 26: ArtStarts at River Market - May 17, 2013
- Get to know New West in a hurry! - April 25, 2013
- SpudShack: Fitting a Vision Into New West - February 6, 2013
- Barley’s Homebrewing Supplies a welcome addition to Sapperton - January 16, 2013
- Helping Others Over the Holidays - November 25, 2012
- Key to the City - November 6, 2012
- Santa Parade Needs a Makeover - October 17, 2012
- New West Activities for September 29 - September 27, 2012
- Freelancer Unconference This Saturday + Ticket Giveaway! - September 12, 2012
- Show Your Love for the Fraser River: Join the New West Shoreline Cleanup - September 6, 2012
- Massey Victory Heights Residents’ Association Family Picnic - September 6, 2012
- 13th Annual Doggy Fun Days Coming Up! - August 17, 2012
- Residents’ Associations - June 19, 2012
- Westminster Pier Park Exceeds Expectations - June 16, 2012
- Pier Park Grand Opening Saturday 11-3 - June 15, 2012
- Northern Voice Conference ticket giveaway - June 8, 2012
- Neighbourhood Small Grants Comes to New Westminster - June 5, 2012
- McBride Mom’s Night Out - April 25, 2012
- Worth Saving - April 20, 2012