New West’s Brad Ross stirs the pot

The Surrey Leader reports that New Westminster’s Brad Ross has provoked a testy bit of back-and-forth between provincial transportation minister Kevin Falcon and Delta city council. Ross commutes to Delta, facing a regular bottleneck at Highway 91 and 72 Ave.

New Westminster resident Brad Ross, who makes regular trips across the [Alex Fraser] bridge, wrote Falcon to ask if there were plans to build an overpass.

According to the minister’s written reply, the traffic lights are still there because Delta “strongly favoured an alternate and more costly configuration, and we were unable to reach agreement.”

Ross forwarded the response to Delta council last week.

There was supposed to be money for improvements to the intersection in 2003, courtesy of a federal-provincial Border Infrastructure Program.

The Falcon letter also said a full intersection was “not viable as part of the project, due to the close proximity of Burns Bog.”

Coun. Scott Hamilton scoffed at the comment.

“The minister is talking through his hat,” Hamilton said, noting the land is privately owned and not part of the bog conservancy.

“They (the program) just ran out of money.”

So there you go, if you too share Ross’ commute and wondered what the issue was at Hwy 91 and 72nd … it appears to be a political bottleneck as well as a daily traffic headache.

The pinnacle of guest room perfection – in New West!

In a recent Globe & Mail column, Vancouver-based HGTV designer Kelly Deck draws on the example of a New Westminster friend’s home to illustrate dos and don’ts of guest room decor :

For seven years, Gillian has been ceaselessly redecorating the interior of her New Westminster home. Last Sunday, we ascended a narrow fir staircase to a room where Gillian has created a warm and romantic retreat for the guests she and Michael are expecting this holiday season. As is her habit, the room is a clever blend of old and new, with a general air of welcome.

As I drove home that afternoon, I thought about why Gillian’s guest room felt right and well thought out, while those in many other homes (ones by designers included) often feel wrong. I think she’s got a few easy do’s and don’ts for us.

Sounds very Queen’s Park to me! Seriously though, I do think that many homes here in New West aspire to that “clever blend of old and new, with a general air of welcome.” Deck never says that her friend Gillian owns a heritage home, but the “narrow fir staircase” and the aim to blend old with new hints at it.

For those who are wondering, the tips in the article include:

• Give guests room to store their junk
  • Don’t be too feminine
  • Buy good sheets
  • Smash that cheap ceiling light
  • Don’t skip the window finishes
  • Resist putting family photos on the wall
  • Remember the thoughtful touches

From the photo with the article, this is indeed a stellar example of a guest room. Gillian from New West has even framed a collection of cheeky poems as the wall art! Kudos to Gillian. Wonder what other gems local decorating divas have concocted …

Famous New West war photo highlighted in Sun’s coverage of B.C.’s 150th birthday

B.C. celebrates its 150th birthday this year, and as part of the Vancouver Sun’s coverage , it put together a list of the top 10 photos in our province’s history.

Somewhat surprisingly to me, only one is taken in New Westminster (but I suppose they had to spread it around a bit). It is the iconic image of a little boy running after his father , who is marching off to war. The photo was taken on Columbia Street by photographer Claude Detloff for The Province newspaper, and the man in the photo is Pte. Jack Bernard, a member of the B.C. Regiment (Duke of Connaught’s Own Rifles).

From the newspaper’s description:

This photograph by Dettloff, who was honoured by his peers for this candid street portrait of a tender moment, was hung in every B.C. school and became one of the most widely recognized Canadian images from the Second World War. Whitey Barnard, who was enlisted to help sell war bonds with this photograph as a backdrop, later settled in Tofino.

I’ve always loved the photograph, and I’m glad it was included in the top 10 list. Given that next year is New Westminster’s 150th birthday, maybe our local historian Archie Miller and the New Westminster Historical Society will compile a similar list from the city’s archives. The city will be doling out grants for the coming year for projects celebrating our 150th, and I hope one of the winning ideas will show off our rich photographic archive.

Update: Amazingly, the Sun’s slideshow of Royal visits doesn’t appear to include any to The Royal City! And no mention is made of Royal visits to New Westminster (named after the Queen’s favourite part of England)! Here’s one from my husband’s family’s archives:

editorial interlude – the middle of everywhere

And now for an interlude, appropriately enough, from the Starbucks at Chapters in Metropolis (née metrotown). New Westminsterites of my vintage will remember it as Metrotown, that mecca of all things cool and consumer-related.

When I was a kid, Metrotown was THE only place to see a movie, buy reasonable clothes, shop on your own, and oftentimes, eat. Sure, some of that was owing to the uniquely terrible palate of one’s teenage years, but I know I’m not alone in saying that Metrotown was the mecca for everything. Growing up in New West was to be a throbbing teenage parasite on the side of Burnaby or Downtown Vancouver.

As a grown (and driving) adult, I see New West from a much different perspective, but the conclusion is the same – it is a city, unique in so many attributes, yet slighted by it’s position as the town “on the way” to everywhere else. The middle of everywhere by public transit (and still is, as the junction between the Expo and Millennium lines) and by car is how New West is known to many, but truly understood by a very few. As much as these traffic flows brought, they took away far more, as a population too small to sustain its own immediate amenities – cinemas, nice nightspots, real shopping and tourist destinations – flocked to frequent those in Metrotown, Downtown Vancouver, or more recently, those in the TriCities.

I’ve found that one of the sad things about growing up NW is looking back and seeing the deterioration of every major development meant to draw people to the city in less time than it took for you to go from hotwheels to a Class 5 Drivers License. One by one, they all fell apart due to neglect, poor attendance and disrepair – The New Westminster Quay, now a shadow of its former self; Woodward Place/Royal City Centre’s loss of its anchor stores; the Burr theatre – even the High School has been left in tatters, waiting for decisions about its fate.

It’s a favourite sport for New Westminster folks to blame the traffic arteries that encircle our community and mass-transit lines that criss-cross the neighbourhoods for the demise of the city’s entertainment and retail services. One might even say that this sort of complaint is common to any small-ish community, so nearby a large city that it can’t help but lose its dollars to the bright lights and better sushi of the mall next door. When our family moved to New West in 1985, the Skytrain was just being finished – but I still remember how the downtown (already in pretty bad shape) deteriorated when New West Station was opened. Suddenly, this little homey town with the “marrying and burying” reputation and the first Spaghetti Factory anywhere was transformed into that town you ride through on your way to somewhere else. The place you wouldn’t dream of disembarking the skytrain, bus or car unless you were forced to by an ill-placed junction.

Still, New West has much to thank it’s transit corridors for – it is certain that Columbia Street’s (slow, hiccuping) revitalization would never have happened if it weren’t for the Millennium Line and excellent bus service in that area. One wonders what would have become the city if Highway 1 didn’t skirt the northeastern edge, bringing bus and truck traffic in and out. Like it or not, car traffic and mass transit were as formative for New West as the river has ever been.

So, what? Can (or should) anyone change New West’s “little sibling” place in the GVRD, always the bridesmaid, never the bride in the minds of consumers? (Except, of course, if you are a bride, in which case Columbia Street is DA BOMB.) No – and according this New West girl, it’s time we found new and better ways to embrace our traffic-laden future, embracing green technologies and ways of working that don’t contribute to the gridlock on Front Street, 20th Street, or McBride Boulevard. I see it starting, in a way – one of the main signs of life in New West for me has been the renovation and revitalization of Uptown. The Royal Bank building on 6th and 6th was knocked down, replaced by a condo-and-retail mix, as was the entire seedy strip mall on 6th ave between 6th street and 7th.

The survival of the modern metropolis cannot continue to rely on the same bimodal commuting patterns. I see New West’s future in the past – by hearkening back to cities built in Victorian times, where cities were built as interlocking villages, each with their own vibrant shopping, entertainment and residential districts. I lived for a short time in Melbourne, Australia and in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Both shared a common civic roadmap that wove civic neighbourhoods throughout the big city, rendering it needless to go elsewhere if you just wanted a bite to eat or tea with a friend. Yes – New West is stuck between the river and a hard place, but that’s no reason that we can’t deliberately build a community, around Stuart McLean’s maxim, “if you can’t be big, be small.”

Except for New West, perhaps it is better said, “If you can’t be there, be here.”

PS: In discussing this post after the fact, I bemoaned to Briana that my favourite New West eatery, whom I hold single-handedly responsible for bringing yaletown yuppies back to the ‘burbs, has closed. She informed me that it wasn’t due to the usual problems – lack of traffic and lack of cash flow – but due instead to the owners’ desire to spend more time with family.
Regardless, I still say that the problem with New West right now – despite the sort of brilliant potential that fosters places like the Orange Room, is that as long as we continue to depend on the standard roundtrip work commute from the burbs to Vancouver and back, there will never be the type of people available to open businesses like the Orange Room and truly invest in the “town-centric” lifestyle that most here seem to be looking for. If you want it, folks, you’ve got to go out and set up shop!