Yes! Tenth to the Fraser does accept submissions from the community. In fact, a diversity of voices on our site is a goal. Interested in becoming a contributor? Read on…Event Submission Guidelines
Article Submission Guidelines
We focus mainly on content that centres on the arts & culture in our community; vignettes, slice of life, and profiles; verifiable historical notes; art including photography and fiction writing; op-eds about life in New West; sports and active and healthy living; family life and social connections; and community building.
Submissions from or about businesses must provide some sort of insight into the community – whether it is highlighting great work you are doing that will have an impact on the community (donated public art? Free workshop or learning opportunity? Grant available?) or telling us all about your awesome employees going above and beyond – and will be reviewed on an as-received basis for fit.
We don’t generally reprint press releases as we think it is too impersonal, but you don’t need to be a professional writer with a big portfolio to write for us. We appreciate submissions that come typo-free, include high-resolution photos we may have permission to use, but previous work is not required. We can help with editing and giving you direction and feedback to get you going.
We do reserve the right to edit for fit and clarity, but if substantive edits are made, we will check in with you before publishing. We also reserve the right to politely say no thank you if your idea doesn’t quite fit with our goals.
Contact us at email@example.com and let us know what you’re thinking of, so that we can be sure someone else isn’t already working on it.
Thank you for considering contributing to Tenth!
Photo Essay Submission Guidelines
We welcome you to submit your works for the “Photo Essay” series. Your set can be based on a theme, or not.
Here’s some details to keep in mind:
- This is a volunteer contribution, however we do link to any websites/portfolios/online shops and promote the posts on social media, and we give a lot of room for creativity.
- The photos don’t need to be taken specifically for this “assignment”, they can be drawn from your archive.
- Watermarked photos are perfectly okay and are encouraged, so long as they can still be viewed.
- Photos do need to be shot in New West or feature portraits of New Westminster people.
- We’d need permission to have them in our archive in perpetuity and if the image has people in it, we’d need assurance the subject has signed a waiver if required.
- We’d link to a bio/website/portfolio for the photographer in the introduction of the post if desired.
- Ideally, some supplied captions would be great – these help people understand why the photo was selected or what they are looking at.
- We publish the photo essay as a tiled mosaic in the post but if you click on any photo it opens a full size gallery.
- We promote the posts on our social media and if the photographer has a page or social handle they’d like linked to, we’d include that.
- Ideal size is at least 1200 px wide.
If this sounds like it might be up your alley, please get in touch. We appreciate locals contributing to this feature so that we can show off the unique angles in New Westminster.