This is a guest post by Megan Sargent, a recent tranplant from Ontario via Prairies for a nine-year stop on her way to the West Coast.
1. The Quay/Boardwalk
The Quay is being redone! No longer ugly and mostly empty, it’s got a shiny new renovation and is set to open very soon. The Boardwalk along the Fraser River is great for running, walking, holding hands, and watching Sea Lions and Harbour Seals in the water (it’s true! I saw three of them playing around by the Quay two weeks ago), and watching the tugboats.
2. The mall at New West Station.
In the process of being done right now. This mall will have a movie theatre attached to the SkyTrain station! How awesome is that?
3. New West is close to everything.
The SkyTrain. Just 27min to downtown. Bonuses: 85% of the time you get a seat and 100% of the time you don’t have to transfer at Commercial.
New West has fast connections to the 99, highway 1, etc. Making it fast and easy to get to Delta, Surrey, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Vancouver, Richmond -basically anywhere in the Lower Mainland.
4. Rent is cheap.
Rent is a whole lot cheaper than Downtown Vancouver. I recently saw an ad for a two-level loft condo with water and mountain views on the Quay for $1200 a month.
5. New West has a lot of bars and restaurants.
Seriously. I think the per capita of bars to people in New West is astronomical. And not scuzzy bars either (although we have those too! Hey, everyone needs those sometimes).
There are loads of sushi places in New West, plus there are cool restaurants like The Heritage Grill, which has live music every night. And the pubs: River’s Reach, The Terminal, etc. And we have a martini bar. Who needs Yaletown and Yaletown priced drinks?
Plus we have “Fever” the nightclub, if you’re into that sort of thing.
6. New West has lots of great recreation spots.
- There is a Bikram’s yoga studio right across the street from Columbia Skytrain station.
- Queen’s Park!
- There are cheap lacrosse games to go to.
- There is $1 skating on Wed nights at Moody Park Arena
- The Quay boardwalk
- The New Westminster Secondary School District has lots of great adult programs. They have tons of stuff like photography classes, Yoga, Women’s Floor Hockey, cooking classes, and Tai Chi (which I’m taking right now) and they’re cheap!
- There are putting in a new waterfront park along Front Street, which will have beach volley ball courts (so I’m told), if you’re into that sort of thing.
- There are at least 3 off-leash dog parks that I know about (and I don’t have a dog) .
7. New West if full of awesome Heritage Houses
A lot of times I just go for walks to see all the amazing houses and architecture around.
8. New West is FULL of great breakfast/brunch places.
9. New West has great shopping.
10. New West has a strong sense of community.
We are fun people to hang out with. Enough said.