The Army & Navy Shoe Sale is always a sure sign of spring. It brings back memories of our annual shopping excursions to the New West store when I was a kid. When my sister and I were young, Mom started the tradition of annual shoe shopping, just us girls, wide eyed at the rows upon rows of shoes, so many options it was overwhelming.
We had to learn the best strategies early on. With that many shoppers and that many shoes you can’t just walk in and leisurely browse! So here are a few tips to navigate the sale, from one shoe-shopper to another.
- You’ve gotta line up. Bring coffee, dress for the weather and get there a bit early. This way you can size up your fellow shoppers and get into the spirit of the sale.
- Know what you are looking for. Do you need sandals for a summer wedding? Pumps for work? It’s overwhelming when you first get in there, wall to wall people, and way too many shoes to count. Survey what you’ve got before you go and have an idea of what you need/want this season.
- If you see something you like, grab it! Get your hands on the right size and pick up whatever looks good. You can find a corner later and cull through your finds to make the final decision.
- Put on each pair and walk around for a while, we all know that we won’t wear them if they hurt no matter how pretty they are.
- Bring a friend. It’s an extra pair of arms to carry your finds, and extra pair of eyes to bring you back down to earth.
One last thing, be patient and polite. No need to elbow your way through: remember, shoe karma is the best kind!
This year’s Army & Navy shoe sale starts Wednesday, April 27 at 8 a.m. Army & Navy is also launching a “Shoes in the City” photo contest this week on their Facebook page where you can win VIP passes to the sale.
What are your tips for navigating the annual A&N Shoe Sale?