Yesterday I wrote optimistically about pressing on with Summerfest, rain or shine (the post is removed to avoid confusing people further). At the time the forecast was for a sprinkle, and the organizing committee and I didn’t want a little rain to ruin the fun. Unfortunately, the reality is that today the forecast has worsened, and upon further discussion with the committee we realized it was foolish to continue.
I hate to say one thing and do another, but the fact is that the weather is so terrible that few people would be likely to come out, and it didn’t seem fair to the vendors, volunteers and entertainers to ask them to come stand in the rain for four hours when everyone we spoke to said it was too rainy to come. The decision was not an easy one. It seemed that either way we would be disappointing someone.
Thank you everyone for your support, and I will let you know what happens next with Summerfest. The committee will meet soon to discuss whether it’s possible to reschedule. If you’re reading this and you’d like to pitch in to help with the work involved in rescheduling, please let me know in the comments or via email (briana at tenthtothefraser.ca) and I’ll be in touch to let you know what the committee decides.
Thank you all for your support, and once again, I am very sorry to disappoint you.