We chose “celebration”as this issue’s theme because we wanted to showcase the diversity of what celebration means in New Westminster. Instead of a collection of predictable holiday stories (though I assure you there will certainly be some of those), this issue explores celebration from other angles—the challenges of creating celebrations in our city, celebrating ourselves, our traditions, our families, and celebrating both life and death.
In the dark of winter, I take comfort in bright sparks that light my way: meeting a friend I haven’t seen in a long time, warm mugs by the fireplace, making time to read a book, brown leaves crunching under boots, and maybe a few too many of my favourite cookies*.
Whatever you celebrate in December—or don’t—I hope January 1, 2017, feels like opening a brand new notebook: a fresh start for a new year and a renewed sense of celebration of the life we live together, here in New West.
*My Favourite Cookies – No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Nests
These cookies are super sweet and really simple to make. You can easily adapt to be vegan, gluten free, or nut free if you’d like.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- About ½ cup flaked coconut
- ¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup milk (I sometimes use coconut milk)
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- Line cookie sheets with waxed paper. In medium bowl, mix oats, peanut butter, coconut, cocoa and vanilla; set aside.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat sugar, milk and butter to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour over oat mixture; quickly stir to mix well.
- Immediately drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets; cool. Carefully remove from waxed paper to serve.
The print magazine:
Our December/January issue is now available at an expanded list of distributors. I’d like to say thank you to our subscribers and this issue’s advertisers, whose support is the reason we are able to bring you this magazine issue after issue. Please support their businesses!
- Alex Jopson – City to Suburb
- Arts Council of New Westminster – Lit Fest
- Cartwright Jewelers
- City of New Westminster
- Eldon Whalen
- Foreman’s Integra Tire Auto Centre
- Jonina Campbell
- Judy Darcy, MLA
- Kids in Motion
- New West Festival of Volunteers – Community Volunteer Connections
- Royal City Shopping Centre
- Royal Printers
- Wild Rice
For a complete index of all of the articles in this print edition, please visit the issue page.